Monday, October 6, 2008

Apples!


Apples!!!
Yesterday we packed up the kids and went to Huffstutter's Apple Orchard to pick apples. We didn't necessarily need MORE apples, but we went for the experience of it all. Since we got a bunch of apples from Lorea, we only bought 1 bag from the orchard. Since the bags are only $5 each, we couldn't resist.
On the way to the trees
Look at this one!
Aidan's first time picking apples
This one takes some reaching!
Reaching far into the tree
What a cutie!
Katarina picking an apple
Madisson doing double duty
Madisson picking apples
Kat at the orchard
Look at all of those apples on the ground!
Madisson can't wait to eat this one!
The kids enjoying the sweet apples
Aidan was getting carried and fed...what a life!

Kat with one of her apples


So, here are the kids on the way back to the van after a successful "Pick". With a bag full of apples and one in each of their hands, they're totally in heaven. Aidan enjoyed his so much that by the time I took it away from him, he had eaten most of the core!

Today I've made 4 apple pies (with homemade crust...not the kind from that famous Doughboy!) and I'm in the process of making more apple butter. I've still got a TON of apples left, so if anybody knows of a good apple tart recipe, please let me know. Since I'm freezing the pies, I'd kind of like something that we could eat now. :) Also, tomorrow I'm going to attempt the applesauce. We'll see how the canning goes today. We had one of the pies for dessert...YUM! (If I do say so myself! Thanks Betty Crocker for the fab recipes!)

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Dang, when are you opening your bakery??? I'm sure Jeff has some fab apple tart recipes -- only trouble is that they might be in one of his GERMAN cookbooks. He could translate...

Looks like apple-picking was great fun. And I love that first photo -- stunning!

LOREA!! said...

Cute pictures!!!

Unknown said...

Holly, your grandmother and grandfather played bridge with Ralph and Betty Huffstutter, the original Hufstutters of orchard fame.

Your aunt Bonnie went to high school with Rick Huffstutter, their son. Does he still own the orchard?

What kind of apples did you pick? I always liked Jonathans, and think they make the best pie, but we can't buy them here in Oregon.

Our dad used to take us to Bell's Orchard. It was east of town. We always liked to get the lady apples. The Bells owned a home on High Street. The house had a tower on it in the shape of a bell.

Thanks for sharing.

Holly said...

Lynn: I'm not quite at baker status like the HBB, but it is fun. I would bake for DAYS. Making dinner on the other hand? Bluckh!! (That word looks a little German...no offense, Jeff.)
I would love to see the translated version of the tart recipe sometime. The first photo was taken right outside your house...no wonder you like it!

Lorea: Thanks! :)

Tweetie: I saw Rick and his wife (can't remember her name) there. She was running the register and he was directing traffic to the orchards. I suppose they still own it. Their BMW said Apple 4 (or 5) on the plates. I knew Kitsy's bell on her house had the significance of her last name, but I didn't realize (or remember) that they had an orchard too. I just love houses that have stories, though. Our apples are jonathans. They do make good pies. Maybe I'll figure out some dry ice method of shipping one to you! Or I'll save one and next time you're here I'll let you eat it all by yourself. Yeah right...like a fresh baked pie around 3 kids would be left alone!